Fisher Howe, Jr. Papers
Scope and Contents
The Fisher Howe, Jr. Papers consist of Bible Society meeting minutes and a book of records of the Lawrenceville Classical and Commercial High School that were kept by Fisher Howe, Jr. during his time at Lawrenceville. The records book includes schoolwide student rolls, membership rolls for the Calliopean and Philomathean Societies, a list of societies, course work, lists of commencement speakers, and Bible Society and Temperance Society meeting minutes. An additional item of note in the book is a letter to alumni from the Joint Committee of the Debating Societies of the Lawrenceville School announcing plans to construct a building for the societies to share. The 1903 letter includes a building plan that differs from the eventual design of Kinnan Hall. It appears to have been added by Howe sometime after he completed high school.
- 1863-1867, 1903
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
Single photocopies and digital photographs may be made for research purposes. Permission to publish materials from the collection must be requested from the Archivist. Researchers are responsible for determining any other copyright questions.
Biographical / Historical
Fisher Howe, Jr. was born in his parents' home in Brooklyn, New York on April 19, 1851. He graduated from the Lawrenceville Classical and Commercial High School in 1867. He graduated from Williams College in 1872. He went on to study law at Columbia where he received an LL. B. in 1880. He married Lizzie Briggs Cronkhite on April 7, 1875. They had three children: Josephine, Stanley, and Lawrence. Fisher Howe, Jr. died on January 23, 1935.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 box)
The original order of the papers has been maintained.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The immediate source of acquisition is unclear.
Appraisal has been conducted in accordance with The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives guidelines.
The Fisher Howe, Jr. Papers were processed by Casey Babcock in April of 2013.
- Calliopean Society (Lawrenceville School)
- High school students -- United States -- Religious life. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High school students -- United States -- Societies and clubs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawrenceville (N.J.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawrenceville School -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Philomathean Society (Lawrenceville School)
- The Lawrenceville School Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- membership lists Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Fisher Howe, Jr.: Finding Aid
- Casey Babcock
- April 8, 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description