Housemaster Handbook Collection
Scope and Contents
The bulk of the Housemaster Handbook Collection consists of an incomplete run of Housemaster Handbooks. Handbooks outline the duties of the housemaster and explain procedures for handling any issues students may have in their lives. The bulk of the handbooks date from the 1990s. Also included is a miscellaneous folder of housemaster-related material consisting of meeting minutes, letters to housemasters from headmasters, lists of house rules, and lists of past headmasters.
- 1958 - 2008
- Majority of material found within 1989 - 2008
- Lawrenceville School. Stephan Archives (Collector, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
Single photocopies and digital photographs may be made for research purposes. Permission to publish materials from the collection must be requested from the Archivist. Researchers are responsible for determining any other copyright questions.
Biographical / Historical
Housemasters at The Lawrenceville School are responsible for running the 19 buildings in which students reside during the school year. Housemasters at Lawrenceville date back to the adoption of the house system in the 1880s. According to the Headmaster Handbook, "Lawrenceville housemasters are expected to act in loco parentis for the young people in their charge. They are expected to be positive role models for students and to perform their duties professionally and responsibly. Overall, housemasters are responsible for creating a safe, comfortable, and welcoming environment for all students in House. In particular, housemasters are responsible for: monitoring the well-being and citizenship of students in the house; informing students about meetings, upcoming events, and other School functions; insuring that absences are adjudicated and reported in a through and consistent manner; oversight of off-campus and weekend permissions. oversight of House budgets; rooming assignment within their Houses; selecting Prefects; conducting regular House meetings; working with the Dean of Residential Life implementing the residential curriculum; monitoring the physical condition of the House; insuring that public spaces and hallways are clean, promptly alerting B&G when maintenance issues arise. Housemasters are also expected to: be familiar with and prepared to effectively implement emergency protocols in the event of fire, suicide, assault or other medical emergency; supervise, coordinate and evaluate members of the House Team; schedule duty nights; hold regular meetings to inform house team members about House-related matters; be the School's primary communicator with parents; write honest, informative House Reports twice per year (once for V Form); promptly inform parents about significant academic, disciplinary or emotional issues; return phone calls or respond to correspondence in a prompt, professional manner; serve as an empathetic listener and a potential counseling resource for students; responsibly, fairly and consistently enforce all School rules and policies; collaborate with Form Directors and the Dean of Students about responses to infractions of School rules."
0.42 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The Housemaster Handbook Collection is arranged chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The immediate source of acquisition of the bulk of the handbooks is unclear though a small amount of handbooks and the miscellaneous folder were transferred to the Archives along with the Parents at Lawrenceville Records (DC024).
Appraisal has been conducted in accordance with The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives guidelines.
This collection was processed by Casey Babcock in December of 2012.
- High school student activities Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High school student extra-curricular activities Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High school students -- United States -- Conduct of life. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High school students -- United States -- Social conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High school students -- United States -- Social life and customs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High school teaching -- United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Student housing -- New Jersey -- Lawrenceville School Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- The Lawrenceville School Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- memoranda Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Housemaster Handbook Collection
- Casey Babcock
- December 18, 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note