Green Family Collection
Scope and Contents
The bulk of the Green Family Collection consists of biographical material pertaining to John Cleve Green, Henry Woodhull Green and other members of the Green family. Documents include biographical sketches, family trees, and a small amount of correspondence and business papers as John Cleve Green. Also include are a small amount personal affects of Helen Wood Green, daughter of Henry Woodhull Green.
- 1828 - 1991
- Green, Henry W. (Henry Woodhull) (Person)
- Green, Helen Wood (Person)
- Lawrenceville School. Stephan Archives (Collector, Organization)
- Green, John Cleve (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
Single photocopies and digital photographs may be made for research purposes. Permission to publish materials from the collection must be requested from the Archivist. Researchers are responsible for determining any other copyright questions.
Biographical / Historical
John Cleve Green (April 14, 1800 – April 29, 1875) was a wealthy China trader. A Lawrenceville native, he attended Maidenhead Academy (now The Lawrenceville School) as a boy. He is considered a member of The Lawrenceville School's class of 1816. He was a great benefactor to the School and many members of the Green family are recognized as the "founders" of what is now known as The Lawrenceville School.
Detailed biographical sketches of John Cleve Green, Henry Woodhull Green, and other members of the Green Family can be found within the collection.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged according to the arrangment established by a previous archivist. All future accessions will be added to the end of the collection.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The 1841 Henry Woodhull Green letter to John Cleve Green (acc. #2012.1091.2) was purchased in September of 2011. The Helen Wood Green material (acc. #2014.1091.1) was a received as a gift from John and Tracy Ashcroft L. 1981 on January 28, 2014. The immediate source of acquisition of the remaining Green Family material was acquired by the Archives on a previous date.
Appraisal has been conducted in accordance with The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives guidelines.
This collection was processed by Casey Babcock in January of 2014.
- Green family. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Green, Caleb Smith, 1819-1891
- High school teachers -- United States -- Biography. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawrenceville (N.J.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawrenceville School -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Jersey -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- The Lawrenceville School Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Green Family Collection: Finding Aid
- Casey Babcock
- January 29, 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives Repository
2500 Main St.
Lawrenceville 08648 U.S.A. US