The Happy Years Collection
Scope and Contents
The Happy Years Collection consists of correspondence, newspaper clippings, promotional material, and scripts. The bulk of the correspondence is between Carey Wilson, a producer at MGM Studios, and Alden Groff, the Director of Public Relations at The Lawrenceville School. The correspondence covers the pre-production process, permission to use names, script approvals, local screenings, and the response from alumni. The bulk of the newspaper clipping consists of reviews. Also included is a script used during the production of the film.
- 1892, 1948-1953, 1959
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
Single photocopies and digital photographs may be made for research purposes. Permission to publish materials from the collection must be requested from the Archivist. Researchers are responsible for determining any other copyright questions.
Biographical / Historical
The Happy Years is a feature film based on The Lawrenceville Stories by Owen Johnson. It focuses on John Humperkink "Dink" Stover's experiences as a student at The Lawrenceville School. Much of the film was shot on location at The Lawrenceville School.
0.63 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
The Happy Years Collection is arranged alphabetically by subject.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Happy Years Collection was acquired by librarian Gerrish Thurber shortly after completion of production.
Appraisal has been conducted in accordance with The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives guidelines.
Information in the historical note was gathered from material within the collection.
The Happy Years Collection was processed by Casey Babcock in May of 2012.
- Heely, Allan Vanderhoef
- Heely, Frances Thompson (Pattie)
- Lavino, Edwin M.
- Lawrenceville (N.J.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawrenceville School -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawrenceville stories Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Motion pictures -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- The Lawrenceville School Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- magazines (periodicals) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- newspaper clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- screenplays Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- The Happy Years Collection: Finding Aid
- Casey Babcock
- July 25, 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description