T. Dean Swift Papers
Scope and Contents
The T. Dean Swift Papers consists of drafts for a James C. Mackenzie biography and research materials used during the writing process. The research materials consist of Mackenzie correspondence and writings.
- 1883 - 1933
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
Single photocopies and digital photographs may be made for research purposes. Permission to publish materials from the collection must be requested from the Archivist. Researchers are responsible for determining any other copyright questions.
Biographical / Historical
Thomas Dean Swift served as the both registrar of The Lawrenceville School and secretary to headmasters James C. Mackenzie and Simon J. McPherson. He resigned in 1920. After leaving Lawrenceville, he wrote an unpublished biography of Head Master Mackenzie entitled, "An American Schoolmaster: James Cameron Mackenzie and His Life and Work."
0.83 Linear Feet (2 boxes)
The T. Dean Swift Papers are arranged into two series: Series 1: Manuscripts, 1929-1930s and Series 2: Research Material, 1883-1933.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The T. Dean Swift Papers were gifted to the Archives.
Appraisal has been conducted in accordance with The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives guidelines.
Information in the biographical note was gathered from material within the collection.
This collection was initially processed in the mid-1960s. It was reprocessed by Casey Babcock in April of 2012.
- Education, Secondary -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High school teaching -- United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High schools -- Curricula -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawrenceville School -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawrenceville School. Office of the Headmaster
- New Jersey -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- The Lawrenceville School Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- manuscripts (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- T. Dean Swift Papers: Finding Aid
- Casey Babcock
- April 25, 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description