Albert Raymond Evans Papers
Scope and Contents
While the Albert Raymond Evans Papers contain information covering the years 1882-1971, most of the documents date from the Head Master Heely years through through his death in 1972. The Evans papers include his business correspondence and notes on management; school financial records and statistics; records regarding the trustees, faculty, alumni; and various phases of the school's academic and social life.
- Creation: 1883 - 1972
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1935 - 1972
- Evans, A. R. (Albert Raymond) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
Single photocopies and digital photographs may be made for research purposes. Permission to publish materials from the collection must be requested from the Archivist. Researchers are responsible for determining any other copyright questions.
Biographical / Historical
Beginning in 1908, Albert Raymond Evans served The Lawrenceville School as treasurer, business manager, registrar, and admissions officer. He retired after 55 years of service in 1958. Evans remained active at Lawrenceville after his retirement. He helped build the archival collection by collecting and transferring to the library many documents integral to school history including the papers of headmasters James Mackenzie, Simon McPherson, and Mather Abbott. He passed away on April 5, 1972 at age 87.
5.63 Linear Feet (14 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Albert Raymond Evans Papers are arranged into two series: Series 1: Board of Trustees, 1885-1970 and Series 2: Subject Files, 1983-1972.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Albert Raymond Evans Papers were transferred to the Archives after Evans' death in 1972..
Appraisal has been conducted in accordance with The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives guidelines.
The Albert Raymond Evans Papers were processed by Casey Babcock in February-April of 2012.
- Abbott, Mather Almon (Person)
- Heely, Frances Thompson (Pattie) (Person)
- Heely, Allan Vanderhoef (Person)
- Lawrenceville School. Office of the Headmaster (Organization)
- Lawrenceville School. Business Office (Organization)
- Lawrenceville School. Board of Trustees (Organization)
- Lawrenceville School. Office of the Treasurer (Organization)
Genre / Form
- annual reports
- bylaws (administrative records)
- newspaper clippings
- Education, Secondary -- United States
- High school student activities
- High school students -- United States -- Social conditions.
- High school teachers -- Salaries, etc.
- High schools -- Alumni and alumnae
- Lawrenceville School -- History
- New Jersey -- History.
- Private school libraries
- Private school trustees
- Private schools Finance
- The Lawrenceville School
- Albert Raymond Evans Papers: Finding Aids
- Casey Babcock
- February 20, 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note