Nicholas H. Noyes Papers
Collection — Box: 1
Scope and Contents
The bulk of the papers consist of correspondence between Nicholas H. Noyes and members of The Lawrenceville School administration regarding Noyes family contributions to the school. Much of the correspondence pertains to the Nicholas H. Noyes, Jr. Scholarship Fund. Also included are letters to and from Jansen Noyes regarding Noyes family contributions and the possible projects for the gifts. The correspondence covers both the Head Master Abbott and Head Master Heely administrations.
- 1927 - 1958
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
Single photocopies and digital photographs may be made for research purposes. Permission to publish materials from the collection must be requested from the Archivist. Researchers are responsible for determining any other copyright questions.
Biographical / Historical
Nicholas H. Noyes was born on August 8, 1883. Both he and his brother Jansen Noyes attended The Lawrenceville School. Nicholas was the class of 1902 and Jansen was class of 1905. Noyes made a career working in the pharmaceutical industry. He began at Eli Lily & Co. in 1910, working his way up to the board of directors in 1913. He was a noted philanthropist and a prolific benefactor of The Lawrenceville School. In 1939 he established the Nicholas H. Noyes, Jr. Scholarships Fund in honor of his son Nicholas H. Noyes, Jr. L. '32. The Noyes family name is still be found throughout the Lawrenceville campus. He died at his home in Indianapolis on December 24, 1977.
0.21 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The Nicholas H. Noyes Papers are arranged chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Nicholas H. Noyes papers were gifted to the Stephan Archives.
Appraisal has been conducted in accordance with The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives guidelines.
The Nicholas H. Noyes Papers were processed by Casey Babcock in March of 2012.
- Abbott, Mather Almon
- Development & education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education, Secondary -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Heely, Allan Vanderhoef
- High school teachers -- United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High school teaching -- United States. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High schools -- Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawrenceville (N.J.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawrenceville School -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawrenceville School. Alumni Assocation
- Lawrenceville School. Alumni and Development Office
- The Lawrenceville School Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Nicholas H. Noyes Papers: Finding Aid
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note