Skip to main content

Health and Wellness Collection

 Collection
Identifier: DC114

Scope and Contents

This collection contains materials relating to the current Health and Wellness department and previous Medical departments at The Lawrenceville School. The bulk of the collection consists of annual reports, but also included are correspondence with the medical staff the majority of which is from 1958, blank medical forms, some information on staff, and an article from a psychological journal about a psychological study conducted on Lawrenceville boys.

Dates

  • 1936 - 2014

Biographical / Historical

The Medical department for the Lawrenceville School has a long history. The 1929 the school opened the McPherson Infirmary a large building with numerous medical rooms, X-rays, operating room and medicine dispensary, which was unusual for the time, even among the large boarding schools. Before this the school has a small infirmary staffed by least one nurse and from 1907 onward had a school physician on staff. In 1931, the mothers of boys in the School created the Ladies Auxiliary to The Lawrenceville School Infirmary. With the creation of Parents at Lawrenceville in 1975, the Ladies Auxiliary became the Infirmary Committee, a support organization open to fathers and mothers of Lawrenceville students. In 1976, in recognition of changed patterns of health care and changed needs of adolescents, the School replaced the older building with the Curtis W. McGraw Infirmary. Donated by the immediate family of Curtis Whittesley McGraw ’15, it provides a particularly appropriate memorial because of Mr. McGraw’s intense interest in both health and athletics. In anticipation of Lawrenceville’s move towards coeducation, the School approved adding a wing to the facility in 1987.

As attendance grew at Lawrenceville, so did the need for a larger Infirmary. In 2001, Trustee Clark McKenzie funded a study to research ways to adjust to the ever-growing needs of the Infirmary. Charles Shipley ’35 then provided the funds for design and construction costs. In 2005, when Shipley passed away, Fahad Al-Rashid ’98 generously offered to continue the funding and in January 2009, the Al Rashid Health and Wellness Center officially opened.

Today the medical department is known as the Health and Wellness department and works out of the Al-Rashid Health and Wellness Center. Lawrenceville’s Al Rashid Health and Wellness Center is a 12,300 square foot, 18-bed, facility that accommodates two distinct wings; one for inpatient care, and the other for outpatient care. It is staffed by a physician, nurse practitioners, round-the-clock nurses, x-ray technician, secretaries, licensed psychologists, and a consulting staff consisting of psychiatrists, orthopedists, nurse midwives, and a nutritionist. While School is in session, inpatient and outpatient care is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Extent

.4 Linear Feet

Related Materials

DC024 Parents at Lawrenceville has a series on the Ladies Auxiliary to the Lawreneceville School Infirmary which contains some annual reports.
Title
Health and Wellness Collection
Status
In Progress
Author
Stephanie Eder
Date
2018 June

Repository Details

Part of the The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives Repository

Contact:
Box 6128
2500 Main St.
Lawrenceville 08648 U.S.A. US