George Schonheiter Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains documents related to George Schonheiter and his position as swimming coach at Lawrenceville School. Included are numerous swimming notebooks, information relating to George Schonhieters work with the National and Eastern Interscholastic Swimming Association, and Newspaper Clipping about himself and some of his swimmers. There are also items relating to George Schonheiters retirement such his faculty dinner remarks and his retirement letters. There are two items in the collection related to his son, Art Schonheiter, the Fall 1999 Athletic Survey and The Times - Lawrenceville Schools 200th Anniversary.
- Majority of material found within 1935-2010, Bulk Dates 1948-1972
- Schonheiter, George (Person)
Conditions Governing Use
Single photocopies and digital photographs may be made for research purposes. Permission to publish materials from the collection must be requested from the Archivist. Researchers are responsible for determining any other copyright questions.
Biographical / Historical
George Schonheiter was born February 14th 1907. He attended Springfield College after which he joined the Lawrenceville School faculty as an Athletics Coach in 1928. He coached football, baseball and most notably, Swimming. He also served as director of the School Camp for 27 years. He retired in 1972 after 44 years of coaching. Upon his retirement from Lawrenceville School the captains of the teams he coached worked to set up the George Schonheiter Scholarship Fund in his honor. George was also a member of the Interscholastic Swimming Coaches Hall of Fame. George Schonheiter was married to Bertha Fitag and together they had three children, George, Trudy, and Arthur - who followed in his father’s footsteps and became the swimming coach at Lawrenceville after his father’s retirement. George Schonheiter passed away at age 73.
.83 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The Series is arranged in Alphabetical order by subject.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
All items were donated to the Stephan archives by Art Schonheiter.
Appraisal has been conducted in accordance with The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives guidelines.
Collection was processed by Stephanie Eder in March 2018.
- Coaching (Athletics) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Faculty Dinner Subject Source: Local sources
- Gideonse, Hendrick "Sandy"
- Harrison, Ross Arthur "Doc"
- High school sports Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High schools -- Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kennedy House Subject Source: Local sources
- Lawrenceville School Faculty and Staff Subject Source: Local sources
- Loucks, Vernon R., Jr.
- National Interscholastic Swimming Coaches Association
- Newman, Phillip B., III
- Retirement Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Swimming Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- newspaper clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- George Schonheiter Collection: Finding Aid
- Stephanie Eder
- 2018 March
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script