Timothy Cutting War Research Collection
Scope and Contents
The Timothy Cutting War Research Collection set out to document Lawrenceville alumni and faculty who served in the US Military with the bulk of the collection focusing on World War I and II, but also includes information on the Civil War, Spanish-American War, and Korea. It features several large lists that include the names of alumni and faculty, graduation year, and military branch who served in World War I and II and smaller lists for the Civil War, Spanish-American War, and Korea. It also includes more specific lists for Honor Roll and Decorated veteran Lawrentians as well as veteran Lawrenceville Masters and those who served with the American Ambulance Field Service. Also included are articles, notes, clippings and other research materials.
- ca. 1990-1995
- Cutting , Timothy (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The Timothy Cutting war research collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
Single photocopies and digital photographs may be made for research purposes. Permission to publish materials from the collection must be requested from the Archivist. Researchers are responsible for determining any other copyright questions.
Biographical / Historical
The Timothy Cutting War Research Collection was created by Timothy Cutting in the early to mid-1990s. Timothy Russell Cutting was born on September 28th, 1928 to Aaron Barrows Cutting and Marjorie Baker Cutting. He attended Lawrenceville from 1944-1947. At Lawrenceville he lived in Dawes and Upper and played baseball and was on the swim team. After graduating from Lawrenceville he attended Trinity College where he continued swimming and set a new school record for the freestyle swim dash. He went on to become an insurance broker. In 1958 he married Sally Torrens. Smith and had three kids, Molly, Timothy Jr. and Lucy. The young family moved from New Jersey to Buffalo, NY sometime in the early 1960s. Cutting Served in the US army as 1st LT infantry in Korea 1953 which is most likely where his interest in Veteran Lawrenceville Alumni comes from. Cutting gave a few speeches at Lawrenceville about his research. He also wanted to use his research to help create a more accurate memorial to the service men of The Lawrenceville School, but it never came to fruition.
.417 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The Timothy Cutting War Research Collection is arranged in to four Series and Subseries: Series1: World War I, Sub-series 1A: Vol 1, Sub-series 1B: Vol 2; Series 2: World War II; Series 3: Other Wars; Series 4: Miscellaneous Research. These series and the folders within them reflect the original order of the collection.
The Timothy Cutting War Research Collection was processed by Stephanie Eder in July 2017.
- American Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Korean War, 1950-1953 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawrenceville School -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military schools Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spanish-American War, 1898 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- US military forces Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Veterans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1914-1918 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- articles Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- newspaper clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Timothy Cutting War Research Collection: Finding Aid
- Stephanie Eder
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives Repository
2500 Main St.
Lawrenceville 08648 U.S.A. US