Negatives of Leigh Photographs Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of negatives of photographs taken by Leigh Photographs for the Lawrenceville School dating from Leigh's founding in 1945 through the mid-1990s. Though the bulk of the negatives are black and white, some color negatives are also included. The boxes contain 4x5 and 2.25 x 2.25 negatives. The binders contain 35mm and 120 film negative strips. Subjects of the collection include 175th Anniversary, Abbott Dining Hall, Aerial photographs, Alumni, Alumni events, Awards, Baseball, Baseball coaches, Baseball teams, Basketball, Basketball players, Basketball teams, Board of Trustees meetings, Buildings and Grounds, Bowl, Camps, Circle, Circle Houses, Chapel, Cheerleaders, Choir, Classrooms, Coeducation, Common Room, Commencement ceremonies, Computers, Construction, Dinners and dining, Diving, Diving teams, Exterior scene, Families, Fathers Association Building (Pop Hall), Field Hockey teams, Fencing teams, Flag Mast, Flags, Football, Football coaches, Football players, Football teams, Foundation House, Golf, Golf teams, Harkness tables, History, Hockey teams, Ice Hockey, Infirmary, Installation ceremonies, Interior scene, Irwin Dining Center, John Dixon Library, Kirby Arts Center, Lacrosse, Lacrosse players, Lacrosse teams, Lavino Field House, Lavino Field House construction, Lawrentiana, Mackenzie Administrative Building, Marching bands, McPherson Infirmary, Meetings, Memorial Hall, Merchandising, Move-In Day, Music, NJAIS (New Jersey Association of Independent Schools) Teaching Fair, Old Gym, Painting, Periwig Club, Physical Plant, Plaques, Pond, Registration, Sculpture, School Seal, Signs and signboards, Skating, Soccer, Soccer coaches, Soccer players, Soccer teams, Special Events, Sporting events, Sports teams, Staff, Student housing, Students, Swimming, Swimming teams, Teachers, Tennis, Tennis teams, Theater, Track and field, Track and field coaches, Track and field teams, Upper House, Water Polo teams, Woodshop class, Wrestling teams.
- circa 1945-1990s
- Leigh Photographs (Organization)
- Lawrenceville School. Alumni and Development Office (Collector, Organization)
- Lawrenceville School. Stephan Archives (Collector, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
Digital reproductions may be made at the Archivist's discretion. Permission to publish materials from the collection must be requested from the Archivist. Researchers are responsible for determining any other copyright questions.
Biographical / Historical
Leigh Photographs was founded in Trenton, New Jersey by Francis Leigh in 1945. The business later moved to Princeton in 1955 where they remain in business to this day.
Leigh Photographs was one of the major photographers of central New Jersey and served clients such as The Saturday Evening Post, AT&T, Lenox China, and Time Magazine. Leigh Photographs began working with The Lawrenceville School shortly after they were founded. They remained the School's primary photographer for all events on campus until the Communications Office's photography department expanded and took over that responsibility in the mid-1990s. The bulk of all campus photography is now done in-house.
8.53 Linear Feet (5 boxes and 7 binders)
Language of Materials
The original arrangement has been maintained. Leigh Photographs arranged the negatives based on a photo shoot numbering system which resulted in an arrangement that is loosely chronological.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Leigh negatives arrived at the Archives in two separate accessions. Little is known about the initially accession (acc. #2014.1112.1) except that it arrived in the mid-1990s. This first accession included 4 of the boxes and all of the binders. A second accession (acc. #2014.1112.2) was transferred to the Archives by John Gore in January of 2014 and includes the run of negatives with the "T" prefix. These date from the 1950s and 1960s.
Appraisal has been conducted in accordance with The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives guidelines.
This collection was processed by Casey Babcock and Sarah Beth Seymore in January and February of 2014.
- Bunting, Josiah, III
- Commencement ceremonies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education, Secondary -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Heely, Allan Vanderhoef
- Heely, Frances Thompson (Pattie)
- High school sports Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High school student activities Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High school student extra-curricular activities Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawrenceville School
- Lawrenceville School -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawrenceville School. Buildings & Grounds
- The Lawrenceville School Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- aerial photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- color photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Negatives of Leigh Photographs Collection: Finding Aid
- Casey Babcock and Sarah Beth Seymore
- April 3, 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives Repository
2500 Main St.
Lawrenceville 08648 U.S.A. US