Scope and Contents
The bulk of the Audio/Visual Collection consists of VHS, miniDVs, and DVDs of sporting events and other events such as Periwig productions. The collection also includes vinyl recordings, audio cassettes, and compact discs of Lawrentian music, school events and meetings, oral histories, and works by alumni.
- 1939 - 2013
- Lawrenceville School. Stephan Archives (Collector, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The Audio/Visual Collection is open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
Digital reproductions may be made at the Archivist's discretion. Permission to publish materials from the collection must be requested from the Archivist. Researchers are responsible for determining any other copyright questions.
Biographical / Historical
The Audio/Visual Collection is an artificial collection created by the Archives. The Lawrenceville School, particularly the Athletic Department and the Periwig Club, have a long history of capturing both audio and video of school events. The Archives' goal is to document that history.
46.41 Linear Feet (52 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Audio/Visual Collection is arranged by format at the series level. The collection consists of six series: Series 1: Audio Cassettes, Series 2: Compact Discs, Series 3: Digital Versatile Discs, Series 4: Film Reels, Series 5: Video Tapes, and Series 6: Vinyl Records.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
The Archives lacks playback equipment for certain forms of media. Please see series descriptions for more details.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The immediate source of many of the audio cassettes in Subseries 1A: General School Events is unclear. A bulk of the McClellan family related cassettes were gifts from Mary Elizabeth McClellan. The bulk of the audio cassettes in Subseries 1B: Oral Histories were collected by Whitney Azoy as part several courses for the History Department and by the Archives Club in preparation for the School's 175th anniversary. The remembrances of "Old Lower" were transferred to the Archives by Sarah Mezzino in 2012.
All of the non-MiniDV or DVD sporting events were transferred from the Athletic Department to the Archives at an unknown time. The bulk of the sports MiniDVs and DVDs were transferred to the Archives from the Athletic Department by Karla Guido and Michael Goldenberg in 2013. VHS and DVD Periwig productions have been transferred to the Archives at unknown times. The vinyl portion of the collection was collected and added to by Archives' staff over the course of school history. Details are largely unknown.
Consult specific accession records for more details.
Appraisal has been conducted in accordance with The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives guidelines. The Archives does not keep more than three copies on any one item.
This collection was processed in January-September of 2014.
- High school sports Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High school student activities Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High school student activities -- United States -- Drama. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High school student extra-curricular activities Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High schools -- Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawrenceville School -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- The Lawrenceville School Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Audio/Visual Collection Audio/Visual Collection: Finding Aid
- Casey Babcock
- October 30, 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives Repository
2500 Main St.
Lawrenceville 08648 U.S.A. US