Scope and Contents
This series includes correspondence of Dr. Samuel McClintock Hamill and his son, Samuel McClintock Hamill, Jr. Both incoming and outgoing correspondence is included. Much of Dr. Hamill's correspondence pertains to Lawrenceville School business including letters to and from faculty, parents, students, and alums; letters of recommendation; and responses from invitations to guests. The letters cover topics such as infrastructure, religious and social life, and campus surroundings. Some non-Lawrenceville subjects covered include temperance, the Lincoln assassination, the College of New Jersey (Princeton University), Lincoln University, Dr. Hamill's work with the Childrens Aid Society and the New Jersey State Lunatic Asylum, and duties as a reverend. Notable correspondents within the Samuel McClintock Hamill (1812-1889) subseries include Chief of the Cherokee Nation William P. Ross, United States Secretary of War William W. Belknap, James McCosh, Horace Porter, the New Jersey State Temperance Alliance, various clergy around the country, and Hamill's nephews Charles Davis and R.H. Nassau. The bulk of the Samuel McClintock Hamill, Jr. (1858-1907) subseries cover family matters and his tenure as Vice President and General Manager of the Brush Electric Company.
- Corbett, H. W. (Correspondent, Person)
- Lathrop, Mary Augusta (Correspondent, Person)
- Robertson, W. E. (William Edie), L 1872 (Correspondent, Person)
- Grice, G. W. (George W.) (Correspondent, Person)
- Bedle, J. D. (Joseph Dorsett) (Correspondent, Person)
- Dickson, Cyrus (Correspondent, Person)
- Walbridge, Thomas Chester (Correspondent, Person)
- Van Dike, H. S. (Correspondent, Person)
- Colhoun, Edmund R. (Correspondent, Person)
- Packer, S. B. (Correspondent, Person)
- Gregorian, Y. S. (Simon) (Correspondent, Person)
- Lamberton, R. S. (Correspondent, Person)
- Hamill, Samuel McClintock, 1812-1889 (Correspondent, Person)
- Wiggan, George W. (Correspondent, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The records are open for research use.
From the Series: 2.29 Linear Feet (6 boxes)
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
Existence and Location of Copies
This folder was digitized in 2020. Digital Copies of the originals and full text transcriptions are available in Preservica, here.
Part of the The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives Repository
2500 Main St.
Lawrenceville 08648 U.S.A. US