Davis, John Lionberger Scrapbook, 1893 - 1896
Scope and Contents
This scrapbook dates between 1893-1896, with the majority of materials falling between 1894-1895. Included are numerous songbooks, correspondences, newspaper clippings related to athletics and the Lawrenceville school, event programs, photographs, and academic schedules. Most of the scrapbook pertains to Lawrenceville School activities, with occasional Princeton University and St. Louis related documents. Additional material includes sheet music, entrance exams, and Valentine's Day cards.
- 1893 - 1896
- Davis, John Lionberger (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
John Lionberger Davis was born on Oct. 2nd, 1887, in St. Louis, Missouri. After graduating from the Lawrenceville School in 1896, he attended Princeton University. After graduating in 1900, he earned a law degree from the St. Louis Law School and briefly practiced law. During World War I, Davis served as the managing director for the Alien Property Custodian and was later named to the Missouri Children's Code Commission and served as chairman of the executive committee of the New Constitution Association of Missouri. Additionally, he became the chairman of the board of the Security National Bank Savings and Trust Company of St. Louis, and served as president of several other companies, chairman of the St. Louis Regional Planning Commission and the St. Louis Chapter of the American Red Cross, and a trustee of the Princeton, Vassar, and Sarah Lawrence universities. He passed away on April 13th, 1973 in Princeton, New Jersey.
1.1 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This scrapbook was loaned to the Archives by Judith-Ann Corrente in 2011.
- Athletics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Football Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Princeton University Subject Source: Dot
- Sheet Music Subject Source: Dot
- The Lawrenceville School Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- greeting cards Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- newspaper clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- songbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- souvenir programs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
Part of the The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives Repository
2500 Main St.
Lawrenceville 08648 U.S.A. US