Davidson, Sidney W. Scrapbook, 1909 - 1912
Scope and Contents
This scrapbook contains materials from 1909-1912, with a majority relating to event programs, newspaper clippings of ath local and events, checks,invitations, and addressed envelope covers. It additionally includes programs and a pin commememorating the cenntenital celebration of the Lawrenceville School in 1910. Additional focus is given to the Davis House, which Davidson was a member of, with team photographs and documents. Occassional handwritten correspondence is present as well. Outside materials unrelated to the school include a New Amsterdam Theater program, Princeton University campus songs, an embroidery sample, and photographs of the 1910 Jamestown Fire and the RMS Mauretania ocean liner.
- 1909 - 1912
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
Sidney Wetmore Davidson was born on December 10th, 1894, in Augusta, Georgia. His parents were William Treat Davidson and Carolina A. (Wetmore) Davidson. He entered the Lawrenceville School in 1909 with a Classical Course. He was a member of Davis House, The Lawrence Board from 1910-1912, Glee Club, Choir, Periwig Club, and Handbook Committee. After graduating in 1912, he entered Yale for his Bachelor of Art degree. In 1916 he married Mary Alice Hooker and became a member of the United States Navy Reserve in 1918. He would return to Yale for his LL.B in 1918 and later earned his LL.D from Tufts University in 1952, his L.H.D. from Bates College in 1960, and a LL.D from Pratt Institute in 1965. He became a member of the New York bar in 1920, and later a partner at the Carter, Ledyard, and Milburn law firm. He specialized in trusts and estate law. He additionally was president of the board for the Gould Academy from 1947-1969. Davidson served as a trustee of the Lawrenceville School from 1943-1949, and from 1951-1978. Davidson Hall was dedicated to him. He passed away on October 27th, 1979.
1.02 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
There is no solid bookspine to this scrapbook and its upper binding is no longer present. TWhen turning pages, handle with care and keep all materials inside and in order. Pages completely unattached can be located in the accompanying folder.
- Athletics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Baseball Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Carlisle Indian football team Subject Source: Local sources
- Davis House Subject Source: Dot
- Football Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Periwig Club Subject Source: Local sources
- Swimming Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theater Subject Source: Dot
- Track and field athletes Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- marriage announcements Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
Part of the The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives Repository
2500 Main St.
Lawrenceville 08648 U.S.A. US