Shons, Charles H. Scrapbook L'1908, 1906 - 1908
Scope and Contents
This scrapbook contains photographic and written materials covering Charles H. Shons' time spent attending the Lawrenceville School from 1906-1908. A majority of materials include personal photographs that depict Lawrenceville sports teams, friends, and campus buildings, and accompanying written notes. Additinally, many Princeton University programs and souvenirs are included. Other materials comprise of pressed flowers, newspaper clippings, sheet music, The Lawrence excerpts, athletic schedules, and handbooks.
- 1906 - 1908
- Shons, Charles Howell (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
Charles Howell Shons was born on Decemeber 3rd, 1889, in Washingtonville, New York. He attended the Lawrenceville School from 1906-1908 and lived in Griswold House. A member of the hockey team, glee club, and choir, he won second place for public speaking in 1908. He went on the graduate from Williams College with a Bachelor of Art in 1912, and returned to Lawrenceville as the assistant housemaster of Griswold and the assistant baseball coach to Cap Kafer. He served in both WWI and WWII, first as a field artillery captain and then as a lieutenant colonel in the Quartermaster Corps. He later served as the athletic director of the Taft School, and was an editor of "Boy of the Eastern Seaboard," an autobiography of his early life. Shons passed away in 1978 in Pheonix, Arizona and was survived by his two children and wife.
1.33 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Page flipping should be handled with care, as the bookspine is delicate. Numerous pages are no longer attached to the scrapbook, and instead can be found inside the accompanying folder.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The scrapbook was transferred directly from Gerrish Thurber to the John Dixon Library. It was moved to the Bunn Library when the The Lawrenceville School Library and Archives relocated in 1996.
- Athletics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Football Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Periwig Club Subject Source: Local sources
- Sheet Music Subject Source: Dot
- black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- magazines (periodicals) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- newspaper clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- souvenir programs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
Part of the The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives Repository
2500 Main St.
Lawrenceville 08648 U.S.A. US