Schonheiter, George Scrapbook, 1948 - 1949
Scope and Contents
This scrapbook contains photographs and newspaper clippings that chronicle the Lawrenceville swim team's 1948-1949 season. Additional materials include a handwritten announcement on swim meet results and a newspaper clipping announcing Schonheiter's engagement.
- 1948 - 1949
- Schonheiter, George (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
George Schonheiter was born February 14th 1907. He attended Springfield College after which he joined the Lawrenceville School faculty as an Athletics Coach in 1928. He coached football, baseball and most notably, swimming. He also served as director of the School Camp for 27 years. He retired in 1972 after 44 years of coaching. Upon his retirement from Lawrenceville School the captains of the teams he coached worked to set up the George Schonheiter Scholarship Fund in his honor. George was also a member of the Interscholastic Swimming Coaches Hall of Fame. George Schonheiter was married to Bertha Fitag and together they had three children, George, Trudy, and Arthur - who followed in his father’s footsteps and became the swimming coach at Lawrenceville after his father’s retirement. George Schonheiter passed away at age 73.
1.05 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated to the Stephan archives by Art Schonheiter.
- Athletics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High school student newspapers and periodicals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Swimming Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- newspaper clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus