Keuffel, Ken Scrapbook, 1956 - 1960
Scope and Contents
This scrapbook contains materials related to the Lawrenceville football team from 1956-1960, when Ken Keuffel coached the team. The bulk of the material includes newspaper clippings related to Lawrenceville's football games, players, and Keuffel's career and personal life. Other documents include a 1960 Lawrentian issue, a 1959 University of Pennsylvania convocation program, a 1961 Wabash issue with Keuffel featured on the cover, and a membership card from the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Game, Inc.
- 1956 - 1960
Conditions Governing Access
Biographical / Historical
Kenneth Keuffel was a fixture at Lawrenceville for a total of thirty-one years. He joined the English Department in 1954 and began coaching football two years later. In 1961, Keuffel left for six years to work at Wabash College. He returned to Lawrenceville in 1967, immediately picking up both his coaching and teaching responsibilities. Keuffel retired in 1982, but returned to the school in 1990 to teach part-time and coach the varsity football team. In 2000, he retired from coaching once more. He passed away in 2007. Dr. Keuffel was best known for the single-wing offense. He used the formation for the entirety of his career as a coach and published two books on the subject. Between 1975 and 1996, Keuffel organized an annual football clinic for area coaches, bringing in well-known and respected national coaches to speak on various topics. Keuffel's own career as a football player began at Phillips Academy. He went on to play for Princeton University and, briefly after graduating, for the Philadelphia Eagles.
1.38 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Encased newspaper clippings can be found inside the folder in the item's box. Clippings still glued inside the scrapbook should be handled with care.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
All materials in the collection were donated from the estate of Ken Keuffel, former football coach, by his widow Betsy Keuffel.
- Athletics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Choate Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Coaching (Athletics) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Football Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- High school student newspapers and periodicals Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawrenceville (N.J.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Peddie School Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- newspaper clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus