Gerrish Thurber Papers
The Gerrish Thurber Papers consist largely of correspondence created during Thurber's tenure as librarian and reflect the day-to-day activities conducted during the course of library business. Items of note include correspondence between Thurber and librarians from other secondary schools and colleges and universities. Also included are materials documenting the history of major gifts to library and the John Dixon Library building.
- 1914 - 1996
- Majority of material found within 1937 - 1982
Conditions Governing Access
The papers are open for research use.
Conditions Governing Use
Single photocopies and digital photographs may be made for research purposes. Permission to publish materials from the collection must be requested from the Archivist. Researchers are responsible for determining any other copyright questions.
2.5 Linear Feet (6 boxes)
Biographical / Historical
Gerrish Thurber was born in New York City in 1907. He graduated from Princeton University in 1928 and went on to earn a master's degree in library science from Columbia University in 1937. His tenure at The Lawrenceville School began in 1937 when he became an assistant librarian to Oscar McPherson. In 1948 he was appointed head librarian. In addition to his duties as librarian, Thurber was also the faculty advisor to The Lit. He retired in 1972. He passed away on September 6, 2000.
The Gerrish Thurber Papers are arranged alphabetically by subject.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The papers were transferred directly from Gerrish Thurber to the John Dixon Library. All material was moved to the Bunn Library when the The Lawrenceville School library and archives relocated in 1996.
Appraisal has been conducted in accordance with The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives guidelines.
Information in the biographical note was gathered from material within the Thurber papers. The Lawrentian, autumn 2000, volume 64, no. 4 was also consulted.
The Gerrish Thurber Papers were processed by Casey Babcock in February of 2012.
- Education, Secondary -- United States
- Evans, A. R.
- Heely, Allan Vanderhoef
- Heely, Frances Thompson (Pattie)
- High school student activities
- High school student extra-curricular activities
- High school student newspapers and periodicals
- High schools -- Alumni and alumnae
- High schools -- Curricula -- United States
- Kirby, Allan P.
- Lavino, Edwin M.
- Lawrenceville (N.J.)
- Lawrenceville School -- History
- Private school libraries
- Private schools -- Connecticut -- Choate.
- Private schools -- Curricula -- United States.
- Private schools -- New Hampshire -- Exeter.
- Private schools -- New Jersey -- Lawrenceville School
- Private schools -- New Jersey -- Peddie School.
- Private schools -- Pennsylvania -- Hill School.
- Gerrish Thurber Papers: Finding Aid
- Casey Babcock
- February 20, 2012
- Description rules
- Language of description