Skip to main content

Woman's Club of Lawrenceville Records

 Collection
Identifier: DC025
The bulk of the Woman's Club of Lawrenceville Records consists of a lengthy run of meeting minutes. The run covers 1895 through 1990. Also included are founding documents and constitutional revisions, numerous programs for club events, and documents pertaining to club anniversaries and scholarships for students

Dates

  • 1895 - 2000

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

The records are open for research use.

Conditions Governing Use

Single photocopies and digital photographs may be made for research purposes. Permission to publish materials from the collection must be requested from the Archivist. Researchers are responsible for determining any other copyright questions.

Extent

1.25 Linear Feet (3 boxes)

Biographical / Historical

The Woman's Club of Lawrenceville was founded as the Benevolent Society of The Lawrenceville School in 1893 by fifteen wives of faculty members. The constitution of the club states, "The object of the Club shall be the promoting of the interest of its members in literature, art, science, and the civic and social subjects of the day" with the dual-purpose of "charitable work and promot[ting] social union among the members." In the early 1930s, club membership was opened to women who lived in Lawrenceville but were not associated with the school. By the Club's 100th anniversary in 1993, membership had grown to 100.

Charitable work was the primary focus of the Club through its history. They raised money for both global charities, such as the Red Cross, and local benevolent agencies. In 1935, The Club began awarding a college scholarship, now know as the Mary Darwin Health Memorial Scholarship, to local women. The social aspects of the club included luncheons, community meetings, the promotion of education amongst club members, and talks with speakers on a variety of subjects.

Arrangement

The Woman's Club of Lawrenceville Records are arranged into two series: Series 1: General, circa 1895-2000 and Series 2: Meeting Minutes, 1895-1990.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The records were transferred from the Woman's Club at Lawrenceville to the Stephan Archives.

Appraisal

Appraisal has been conducted in accordance with The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives guidelines. Some duplicates of programs have been removed.

Information in the historical note was gathered from material within the Woman's Club of Lawrenceville records.

Processing Information

These records were processed by Casey Babcock in October-November of 2012.
Title
Woman's Club of Lawrenceville Records: Finding Aid
Status
completed
Author
Casey Babcock
Date
November 29, 2012
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the The Lawrenceville School Stephan Archives Repository

Contact:
Box 6128
2500 Main St.
Lawrenceville 08648 U.S.A. US